Vegan & Gluten-free Mushroom Stroganoff (Gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanut & tree nut free; top-8-free)
Jump to Recipe
Hearty mushrooms and a thick cream sauce slathers gluten-free (or not!) noodles. Warm, comforting and rich, this is a wonderful update on a classic meal. Peppery, creamy and oh-so-fulfilling! This Vegan & Gluten-free Mushroom Stroganoff is free of: gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanut & tree nuts. It’s also top-8-free too! And, did I mention it’s done in under 30 minutes?
I loved, Loved, LOVED beef stroganoff growing up. And, since my son can’t have beef, dairy, egg, or wheat–we haven’t had it in years. And, it’s not like it’s a popular dish you can get at a restaurant. I’d order it if I could–but it’s not like pizza where you can have knock offs wherever you go.
So, sadly–it’s probably been 5, if not almost 6 years since I’ve had its creamy goodness.
We do a decent amount of vegan dinners simply because I like to go meat-less (less money, better for the environment, quicker…etc.) here and there, and since my son can’t do eggs or dairy vegan fits the bill nicely. So–we’ve done a lot of mushrooms in the past–I don’t know why on earth I didn’t think of subbing out the typical beef for mushrooms. They’re so meaty, hearty and have such a similar texture! And, they don’t take as long to cook and they’re SOOO much more inexpensive.
If you don’t need to be gluten-free, feel free to sub out gluten-free noodles for the typical egg noodle. But honestly, this cream sauce is so divine, I doubt you’ll even notice there is anything underneath it.
My husband is your classic male–he doesn’t love when I do meatless, and he especially doesn’t love mushrooms. He’ll be polite and have a few, but in doing dishes I always see a ton of mushrooms pushed to one side (do I have three children…or four?? haha). So, I about fell out of my chair when he said how much he enjoyed it, went back for seconds and BEAT me to the leftovers–as in cleaned the container. WHAT??? He was even excited when I made it again so I could take photos. I’ll just start patting myself on the back now…maybe even add a slow clap.
The only thing my husband and I disagreed on was how much pepper to put. I think stroganoff should be quite peppery, especially if you were used to doing like a heavily salt-and-peppered steak. But, he feels this has a little much. I put in the recipe how much I like, but perhaps you can do a half of that and start adding more and tasting as you go.
This honestly doesn’t take more than 20 minutes. I think it takes longer to boil the water and the noodles than it does to put together this heavenly sauce. This Vegan & Gluten-free Mushroom Stroganoff is wonderfully quick so it’s perfect for busy weeknights, or a night when you need a little comfort, nostalgic food. Enjoy!
Continue to Content
- 8-10 oz. gluten-free noodles
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced finely
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons of url href=”http://amzn.to/2zxsqYq” target=”_blank”]chicken bouillon[/url (make sure it’s wheat free! and do a vegan broth base
- 1/2 a container (4 oz) of dairy-free cream cheese (Tofutti is made of soy, but we can have soy so we use that. If you need a soy-free version check out daiya).
- chives, or the tops of green onions for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the red onion and soften for 1-2 minutes. Add the garlic and heat until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook until they’re soft and brown. Add the cornstarch and stir until the vegetables are coated. Add the water, salt, pepper and bouillon. Using a flat whisk, stir until everything is combined and you’ve scraped the bottom of the pan for any remaining bits. Add the cream cheese and stir until smooth. Allow the sauce to thicken and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Serve over cooked gluten-free noodles (follow package directions) and garnish with chives or freshly chopped green onions.
- The sauce keeps well in an air-tight container for 1-2 days. Store separately from the pasta.
Adapted from the very talented: Gluten-free Palate’s Gluten-free Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
Want more awesome gluten free recipes from Chrystal? Check out her:
- Gluten Free Bread Recipe
- Gluten Free Stuffing
DON’T FORGET TO PIN IT, SO YOU DON’T LOSE IT! ALSO CHECK OUT MY OTHER ALLERGY-FRIENDLY PINTEREST BOARDS!
Looking for other gluten-free vegan recipes? Check these out:
Roasted Cauliflower Pasta Salad
Allergy-friendly Tuscan Pasta Salad
Basil, Lemon & Avocado Creamy Pasta