Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake (Gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanut and tree nut free; top 8 free; vegan)
Jump to Recipe
A family favorite, this slow cooker chocolate lava cake is rich, and OH SO moist. With a dense cake floating on top of a homemade chocolate pudding, all without hardly any work–or heating up your kitchen, this will become your go-to dessert. Free of: gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanut and tree nut; vegan; top 8 free. First off, have you been dying to get this recipe since I posted that teaser clip on Instgram? I hope the wait wasn’t too bad!
I’m just going to be up front and warn you now, there are 3 and one-half cups of brown sugar in the recipe. I figured I’d tell you at the first for two reasons. 1.) Because then you know it’s going to be DELICIOUS. 2.) So you don’t die when you read the recipe below. I’ve literally started making it before, thinking I had enough brown sugar, only to run out mid-recipe. So, stock up now! Now that you’ve picked your jaw up off the floor–how are you all surviving the August heat?? We’re surviving thanks to my slow cooker. So don’t worry, if you’ve got a hankering for some chocolate cake, but don’t want to turn your oven on–you can still indulge! (After you make this chocolate cake, check out my other slow cooker recipes.) I made this at least three years ago somewhat consistently. It was fabulous for family get-togethers. Everyone would enjoy it, even those without restricted diets. I mean, a fudgy, warm, chocolate cake dripping with chocolate lava aka hot chocolate pudding will please just about anybody. And, then sadly–lost it. I switched Pinterest accounts and it got buried. Anyone else have their Pinterest favs get buried? (Also, are we Pinterest friends yet??) Out of the blue, the recipe came to my mind. I’m pretty sure it was angels whispering it in my ears. I was stoked to remember it and got to digging around on Pinterest. When I told my husband what I was making, I wondered if he’d remember–and I could tell instantly by the way his face lit up. This was one of his favs! It is so easy to make–only requires one bowl, and then you simply dump it in your slow cooker. Be sure to have some safe vanilla ice cream to go on top to help cut the richness, and well–because there’s nothing like cold ice cream on top of a warm cake. Puddles of yumminess in every spoonful. And, lest you worry–this lava cake has tons of pudding below. It’s magic, but somehow the cake is floating on an ocean of chocolate pudding, and there’s plenty to spoon on top of the cake when you’re serving it (if you can’t tell by my overflowing pictures!) Lastly, this is my fav dessert to make when I have people over–not just because you will please absolutely everyone with chocolate lava cake, but because I don’t have to do much. I can put it in the slow cooker and then worry about the rest of dinner. By the time we’re done eating, I have an impressive dessert I almost forgot was cooking (except for the divine smell wafting all over my kitchen.) If you’re looking for a chocolate cake, but need it to be keto, check out this recipe from fellow blogger, Cassidy, from Cassidy’s Cravable Creations, keto chocolate cake recipe. Or, you can check out this flourless chocolate lava cake from One Lovely Life. Enjoy! Continue to Content
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rice milk
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your gluten-free flour already has this in the blend)
LAVA (AKA chocolate pudding) ingredients:
- 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups Boiling Water
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and turn to high.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum. Stir in the rice milk, coconut oil and vanilla until combined. Spread the batter evenly in the slow cooker.
- Over high heat, put 4 cups of water in a sauce pan and bring to a full boil.
- While it comes to a boil, take the bowl that had your cake mix in it and mix the sugar and cocoa. You can do this in a separate bowl, but I prefer to do less dishes. Sprinkle the combined mixture over the cake batter evenly.
- When the water is to a full boil, measure out 3 cups. You’ll notice I had you boil 4, I like to do more to make sure that if any has evaporated by the time I get to it, I still have enough for the recipe. Pour the three cups of boiling water over the cake mix.
- Do not stir in the boiling water. Immediately put the lid on it and allow it to cook 2 hours to 2 hours 15 minutes. Each slow cooker is a bit different. Since you can’t put a toothpick in it, since it’s going to have the lava–aka chocolate pudding underneath the cake, look for the cake to start pulling away from the sides.
- Serve while it’s still warm with a safe vanilla ice cream over it.
Adapted from: Life in the Lofthouse
Pin it now, so you don’t loose it! And, be sure to check out my other allergy-friendly Pinterest boards!