Mexican Tuna Salad (GF, DF, Egg, Soy, Peanut, Tree nut Free, Grain Free, Paleo & Whole 30 Options)
Jump to Recipe
Move over mayo! This is the new, best way to eat tuna. Full of fresh ingredients, and creamy avocado, this southwestern spin on tuna is perfect for lunch or dinner and is gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanut, tree nut, and grain free! This also has Paleo & Whole 30 options!
This is my new favorite way of eating tuna. It makes me question what I’ve been doing with tuna my entire life. I guess it’s better late than never.
My son loves tuna, and it’s been one of his few safe proteins for a long time now. Sadly, and yet thankfully, he’d eat it plain since we couldn’t do mayo. Just open a can, drain it, and give him a spoon. I could never do that, but when you’re desperate to feed your EOE kid, you let ’em.
I’ve been a fan of tuna since I was little too. Give me some toasty bread, mayo and lots of pickles and I am game. Unfortunately–that’s not very allergy friendly.
I’m super pumped to have a grain free way to eat it. No need for bread! And, the whole family can enjoy it because it’s pretty allergy-friendly (unless you can’t do fish).
Red bell pepper, beans, cilantro, lime zest–I love the colors and fresh veggies in it, and it’s a snap to make. I like to have it with my Spanish rice, but if you’re going for grain free, it really is filling all on its own.
And, how cute is it in the leftover avocado shells?!?? It’s like it was meant to be.
Grab those cans of tuna from your shelf and get busy!
LOOKING FOR MORE ALLERGY FRIENDLY TEX MEX RECIPES? LOOK NO FURTHER:
- Dairy Free Green Chile Enchilada Soup
- Gluten Free Chicken Enchilada Pasta (Top 8 Free Too!)
- Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Lime Tacos
- Meatless Enchilada Quinoa Bowls
- Dairy Free Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Gluten Free Salsa Sheet Pan Dinner
- The Bomb Gluten Free Baked Chicken Taquitos
Continue to Content
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces (2 cans) tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper (1/2 red pepper)
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained**
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lime, zested
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 green onions, green and white parts chopped
- 1 – 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeno (depending on heat preference)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Use a potato masher to really break up the avocado so that it’s not in small chunks, but a smoother consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into the empty avocado shells. Garnish with additional lime juice and cilantro, if desired. Keep covered in the fridge for a day, if you don’t eat it all.
**For this to be Paleo or Whole30 approved, you will need to omit the beans. However, this salad will not suffer, since it will still have a great mouth feel and taste. The beans are just to bolster it, for those who want additional protein.
Adapted from: Avocadopesto